In some vineyards, birds such as magpies, blackbirds and jays throw themselves on the grapes and can cause considerable damage. Here are a few ways to limit the damage.
This is all about making the area unpleasant for birds. Not all species respond the same to defense solutions. It is therefore necessary to change the means used.
Which species attack vines most often?
- The blackbird
- The jay
- The magpie
- The starling
Some information about the habits of birds to better understand the damage they cause and thus better prevent it:
- It’s easier to remove newly established birds. The longer we wait, the more likely it is that they will stick to their" Territory" tie. In addition, the presence of a group of birds on vines can attract others. It is therefore a good idea to expel them from the area as soon as possible.
- The damage can be very different depending on the plot of land.
- And on a plot the damages are rarely homogeneous. On the contrary, they are localized in specific places that please the birds.
- If there is a starling roost near a plot, there is a greater risk that these birds will attack.
- Birds usually feed at dawn and at the end of the day.
Here are some solutions to keep birds away from vineyard plots:
1- Programmable acoustic bird repeller
For isolated plots (no dwelling within 200 meters), AgriProTech has developed a range of bird repellent devices.
Manufactured in France, the AviTrac® range creates an inhospitable and threatening atmosphere that starlings, magpies, jays. with their various scare signals:
- Cries of raptors
- Emergency calls of targeted birds
- Synthesize signals
These systems are designed for professional use. They are waterproof, robust and fully programmable. Their built-in rechargeable battery gives them an autonomy of 3 weeks.
Just like other defense solutions, we advise moving them from time to time or changing their orientation to increase their efficiency.
For even more efficiency, you can complement the AviTrac bird repeller with the ManTrac visual option:
To limit the habituation effect, it is advisable to install additional solutions, such as those proposed below:
2 – Protection nets
AgriProTech offers safety nets that prevent birds from accessing fruit.
Our advice is:
- Install nets early enough, before the fruit ripens.
- Tighten and securely fasten the nets
- Roll up the ends of the nets and tie them together so that small animals (hedgehogs. ) do not get caught in it.
- Make sure there are no holes or passages where birds could enter. Check the nets regularly and release trapped birds if necessary.
- After sensitive periods, take down the nets and store them carefully rolled up.
3 – Holographic bird repellent tape
This type of holographic tape reflects light and emits a metallic sound similar to aluminum foil. It plays on the senses of sight and hearing and gives an impression of movement that intrigues and keeps birds away.
It can be tied directly to vines. Allow strips of about one meter or less to move with the wind.
This tape enhances the effect of an acoustic bird repellent device.
3 – Bird repellent balloon
You can install such a balloon to protect about 500 m² of vineyard area. There are different types of bird repellent balloons. We recommend to move them regularly. This kind of solution comes in addition to the acoustic bird repellent device.
4 – Kite in the form of a bird of prey
FlyTrac® kites imitate the flight speed of the sparrowhawk, a bird of prey very present in France.
This natural predator of many birds scares away blackbirds, jays, magpies . but it can also attract real birds of prey, making the area all the more dangerous to their eyes.