OpenMTBmap: What is it?
(almost) the whole world with file updates based on OSM every 6-7 days;
- 6 different layouts with five contrasting ones for the different Garmin GPS devices and one for desktop use;
- Detailed type of path/road and clear distinction between asphalt, forest, single trail … with details and difficulty (the author has improved the scaling MTB: scale ).
- Contour lines integrated almost worldwide.
OpenMTBmap: Where can I find the maps?
- on your PC thanks to cartographic software specifically designed for planning and tracking future routes or displaying routes in the field;
- on GPS devices for navigation during your trips.
Top GPS devices for mountain bikers
How to install the OpenMTBmap on your PC
- BaseCamp from Garmin. You can download it here and if you want to learn more about it, you can read the Guide to BaseCamp .
- Qlandkarte was recently integrated into Qmapshack Modified . You can download here .
- Download the maps of the desired country for free or after a donation Download .
- Start the installation, by clicking on the file you just downloaded. In this example I refer to the Cartography of the Alps , therefore is the file mtbalps.exe (at the moment I write it with a volume of 1,2 GB!). In general the filename is mtbNAMECOUNTRY.exe.
- You will probably be asked You want to allow this app to modify your PC. . By selecting YES you start the installation process.
- Click Next , to get started.
- Read and accept the "Terms and Conditions" .
- Choose if you want to integrate contour lines or want to install a separate contour line map. I 100% suggest including contour lines, while the second option is pretty subjective due to the use of the cards.
- Choose the layout for the PC , so the one with the name Mapsource-Qlandkarte_GT.
- Select the folder where you want to install the maps . You can keep the default setting (Garmin / openmtbmap / NAMECOUNTRY) or choose a different path: Remember where you install the maps, and always use the same path when installing updates.
- Click Next and Install. A progress bar will be displayed: Wait until the process is complete.
- You have OpenMTBmap maps correctly installed on your PC: you can click Finish and use them.
If you have chosen BaseCamp, you will have the option "openmtbmap_alps_DD".MM.YYYY" in the "Maps" menu at the top of the main software window. As you can see on the picture below, I have installed many of them! The day is the update day.If you mark the map, it will be loaded and you can use it.
To load the installed map on Qlandkarte, just start the software and select the option "open map" under "file".
Now you have your OpenMTBmap also on the Qland map!
To install maps on a GPS device
How to change the OpenMTBmap layout
Run the application by clicking on the file and you will be taken to the previous setup. Here you have the option to choose between the available layouts: Classic – Thin – Wide – Light – Hiking.
To install the maps on a GPS device with BaseCamp
If you use Garmin BaseCamp, it is easy to send your maps to the Garmin device. After selecting the preferred layout and connecting the device to our PC, you can run BaseCamp. Select the "Install Maps" option from the "Maps" menu.
A MapInstall window will open and you will have to select the device to which the maps will be sent. If you have only one device, without a doubt click Next.
- a list of all maps that can be installed / uninstalled;
- the preview of the area covered by the maps;
- A bar indicates the free space on your microSD card (it changes from green to red depending on availability).
If the map is already installed on the device, "Already installed" will be displayed under the map name (as shown in the figure above). However, you will update them during the installation.
By clicking Advanced / Partial installation you have the possibility to select specific areas to be installed in a map. For example, the Alpine map consists of 189 parts. If you right-click on a single part, deselect it while clicking on it with the left mouse button.
To manually install maps on a GPS device
To proceed with the manual installation of OpenMTBmap on a device, you need to download the file create_gmapsupp_img.run bat. A window will open where you can select the layout (by pressing a number from 0 to 5) and the name of the country / area select. In my case I have The following written :
Message "Maps cannot be authenticated"
- All Garmin devices from 2016 or later
- Edge 1000
- Etrex 20x / 30x (not the "Etrex 30")
- Etrex Touch 25/35
- 64 series GPS maps
- Montana 610, 680 (not the 600/650)
- Oregon 700, 750
- Some new and some very old Nuvi devices do not support Unicode. (For example Garmin Vista C, GPS Maps 60 C).
You need to download the map in the "Non Unicode" version, which you can find in the download section (see below).
Last Updated on 10. April 2020 by Raddeluxe
Trek 920 test for 2020& Detailed Look! Trek 920
Raddeluxe the bike page.
The place for all your bike news, reviews, events, tutorials, buying tips and advice.
Do you want to insure your new bike?
& There is a really good chance that this post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of them, we may receive a small commission from Raddeluxe (for which we are deeply grateful),
– at no additional cost to you.
These are the partners we work with:
- Mountain Station
- Travelling the World
- Making coffee