If you want to have your food on the table quickly, you can also cook the tubers in the microwave. With these tips, jacket potatoes succeed in a flash.
Trick: How to make good jacket potatoes. (Source: t-online.en)
Boiled potatoes are delicious, but it takes a while to cook them on the stove. If you want to have your food on the table quickly, you can also cook the tubers in the microwave oven. With these tips, boiled potatoes are easy to make in a flash.
Boiled potatoes are simple and quick to prepare. We present three ways to cook the tubers with little effort: classically in the pot, in the freezer bag or in the microwave oven.
Boil boiled potatoes in a pot: Duration circa 20 minutes
Boiling jacket potatoes in a pot: the tubers should be completely covered with water. (Source: imago/Seeliger)
For jacket potatoes, it’s best not to use floury potatoes, but rather firm-boiling potato varieties such as Linda, Heidi or Charlotte. Allow for about 200 grams of potatoes per person. If you like, you can also add a little caraway seed to the cooking water, which makes the potatoes even more digestible.
- Brush off potatoes with a brush under cold water.
- Place the potatoes in a pot and fill it with cold water until the tubers are completely covered.
- Add a pinch of salt and caraway seeds to taste and bring everything to a boil.
- Once the water is bubbling, turn the temperature down a bit and let the jacket potatoes cook in the covered pot for about 20 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain the water and peel the skin. It’s easier with a peeler fork or peeled potato cutlery .
Tip: To make peeling easier after cooking, score the center of the still-raw potato in a circle. It is important not to cut too deep. Only the skin should be cut. Then cook the potatoes as described. After draining, the hot potatoes in the pot are briefly quenched with cold water. Now you can pull the peel down the sides without burning yourself.
Boil boiled potatoes in a freezer bag: Duration circa six minutes
Boiled jacket potatoes: to make peeling easier after boiling, score the skin of the potatoes before they are cooked. (Source: Florian Schuh/dpa)
A quick alternative to cooking the jacket potatoes in the pot is the variant with freezer bags.
- To do this, first clean the potatoes under cold water and cut out any unsightly stains .
- Put the still wet potatoes into a freezer bag and close it with a thread.
- Now comes the most important step: Be sure to provide the bag with holes so that it does not burst in the microwave oven. Just poke several holes in them with a fork.
- Then place the bag on the microwave’s turntable – but without the cover. Cook the jacket potatoes at 800 watts for about five to six minutes.
- Halay through the time, you can do a test and estimate whether the set cooking time is enough. If the potatoes are still too hard, you should extend the cooking time slightly.
- Once the jacket potatoes have the desired consistency, remove them from the bag and place them on a plate. Peel the potatoes once they have cooled down a bit and serve them with either salt and butter or herbed cottage cheese.
Tip: Do not use too large potatoes, otherwise the cooking time will increase.
Cook boiled potatoes in the microwave: Duration about four minutes
Boiled potatoes: They taste especially delicious with salt and butter or herb curd cheese. (Source: imago/Westend61)
For this variant you need suitable microwave dishes . Make sure that the potatoes are as equal in size as possible, but not too large.
- Clean the potatoes and put them in a bowl.
- Prick all the potatoes with a fork and add water to the bowl. It depends on how many potatoes you want to cook: Add about one tablespoon of water per 100 grams of potatoes for cooking.
- Close the bowl with a lid to protect the potatoes from drying out.
- The cooking time depends on the quantity of potatoes. For example, if you have 800 grams of potatoes, they need to be microwaved at 800 watts for about nine to ten minutes. For 400 grams, it would be only four minutes.
- Turn the potatoes after half the cooking time.
- Use a sharp kitchen knife to check if potatoes are soft.
Boiled potatoes: calories
One serving of steamed jacket potatoes provides almost as much vitamin C as half a lemon. And at that, the potato is also something for those who have to watch their weight: The fat content of the root vegetable tends toward zero. One serving of 200 grams of jacket, foil or boiled potatoes has 140 kilocalories.
Info: Salt belongs in every cooking water. The salt in the water ensures that the aromas and flavors remain in the potato for the most part. About a tablespoon of salt is a good amount for potato water.
Recipe: Stuffed jacket potatoes
Jacket potatoes: Filled with Obatzda, they taste nice and hearty. (Source: Julia Uehren/loeffelgenuss.de/dpa-tmn)
For this recipe, the warm jacket potatoes are filled with homemade Obatzda. They taste hearty and spicy – and are definitely filling. Adding a radish vinaigrette not only gives them some zing, but makes them taste fresh and light.