I think I have a big problem,
i wanted to install WIndows XP on my MacBookPro today and i installed the bootcamp.
Then I was asked to insert the Windows CD to install, which I did, but the Windows was never completely installed and it always came up with
media error restart: press key
Then I thought I have to insert the Leopard CD, because it seems to have the necessary drivers. this installed the drivers automatically and started the Mac from the incomplete Windows – Partion
and now nothing works, no matter what I do always only
restart: press key
But there is absolutely nothing more.
What should I do? I urgently ask for help.
So to get back into Leo at startup hold down the apple key until you can select the operating system.
And now to your media error.
PS: The Sufu is a great thing there you would have found everything.
rating would be cool
also have the problems with the hal.dll had. after i think 11 tries i finally found a working (at least for me) solution on an english forum.
so I’ll start from the beginning:
2. burn image (programs/utilities/harddisk utilities. there click on burn and previously downloaded image "fdfullcd.iso" search and burn)
3. open bootcamp and create a new windowpartition (if you still have an old one on it, remove it with bootcamp and create a new one)
4. bootcamp asks you if you want to install windows, insert cd etc. NO! we do not want for the time being, so click on "install later)
5. now put your burned freeDOS in the drive and start it with pressed "c key new.
6. FreeDOS opens and you wait a while, a screen appears. "continue o boot FreeDos. " just press ENTER
7. another menu appears. 1-5 menu items can be selected, take the 5. point (freeDos LIVE CD only). You can select this by choosing the "5" meals on the keyboard presses
7. dos usual command line appears. (A:/. or so)
8. writes there "format c:" (without quotes), note the english keyword. colon about SHIFT-o
9. confirms with "Yes (ZES]
9.1 appears something like labelname or so, enter there BOOTCAMP
10. reboot (or. long on powerknopf) and abs into OSX
11. bootcamp starts and now you can proceed with the windows installation (open bootcamp>continue>start windows installation and insert windows xp SP2 cd)
12. windows starts. takes a bit of time
13. now you see the usual screen that some people might be sick of already. the single partitions are visible. at the bottom you see C: BOOTCAMP FAT32 or so
14. on this and only on this you install windows (just select partiition and ENTER..the rest you know)
( 15. some will wonder "i think i have to format the harddisk there again. no! you don’t need that now just ENTEr and off you go. no "MEDIA ERROR" occurs)
16. . Windows reboots and the following error occurs again.dll error on. no, if you have done everything as described it should work.
17. then install windows normally and install driver cd via leopard dvd. bllaa you know the rest)
Thanks first of all. I have a full version of XP from my old laptop and now I bought Windows Vista, but I have problems with it too.
Where is the error when installing Windows Vista, there the installer asks me where I want to install Windows:
I have previously set 2 partitions, but then comes the message:
"Windows can not be installed on this disk space. Windows must be installed on a partition formatted as NTFS"
What to do?
Although everything works under XP now as it should (thanks to the great tutorial here!! DDAAAAAAANKE ) . but now XP always starts automatically at startup. But I want Leopard to always start first!!
Can you change this?
At startup hold down the Alt key and select System or
in the control panel> Select startup volume Leopard.
At system startup hold down Alt key and select system or
in the control panel> select boot volume Leopard.
i followed the above instruction, media error did not occur anymore! windows was installed (much faster than on normal pcs without mac osx, and mostly everything automatically). but the problem is now
when windows starts it wants a password! a single user is created, password I never entered before, the admin password from mac os x was also "empty" so there is no password. if I want to log in to windows without a password (just leave the field blank) or even if I want to enter "any" password, I have to delete it enter password, then comes the error message:
You cannot log in due to the following error:
The specified domain does not exist or no connection could be established. repeat the procedure, or contact the system administrator.
does anyone know?
I had this error once too. I had forgotten to format the bootcamp partition in the setup routine of Windows XP NOCHMALS. it shows as formatted, but that is not enough. It’s also in the bootcamp manual.
Baldwin’s red pepping
Solution for the entry" not recognized operating system
Start Windows XP normally! Then you search directly in drive C (not in a subfolder) for the file boot.ini! Open it with an editor (Notepad).
In this file you have to delete the second entry (you can see which entry you have to delete when booting up). stands "Unknown operating system on C" as the second entry at boot time, you have to enter in the boot.ini delete the lower entry!
Or just set the timer to 0 then it will boot the first entry immediately (but be sure that this is the working Windows XP)
deleted the entry and set the timer to 10 to be on the safe side.
boot.ini is directly under C:\
i followed the above instruction, media error did not occur again! windows was installed (much faster than on normal pcs without mac osx, and mostly all automatic). but the problem is now:
when windows starts, it wants a password! a single user is created, password i never entered before, the admin password from mac os x was also "empty" left, so there is no password. now if i want to log in to windows without a password (so just leave the field blank) or even if i want to enter "any" enter password, then comes the error message:
You cannot be logged in due to the following error:
The specified domain does not exist or no connection could be established. Repeat the procedure, or contact the system administrator.
found the solution the same day and just wanted to share it.
one may with the windowsinstallation the punkt "netzwerke" (or similar) do not let knfigurate automatically. not simply "continue click. but "custom" make settings. that means you enter your pc name, administrator password (or leave it blank) and especially the working group of the network!! instead of the working group, you can also specify a domain. and THIS happens with the "automatic configuration of windows (if you always just keep clicking) probably by itself, so that this "domain-problem" at windows.logon occurs and therefore you can’t start windows!
so instead of domain just do a manual network configuration (especially the point: workgroup) and the problem should not occur!
maybe this helps one or the other
P.S.baald baald i actually get the new mac pro i am so looking forward to it haha