How the creation of a website goes by the hand depends very much on the type of software used. Whether you want to edit HTML, PHP and CSS code yourself or rely on an intuitive editor: There is a suitable program for every level of knowledge. In this article we will take a look at which programs can be used to create a homepage and what to pay attention to in the process.
Create your own homepage: Programs& Website tools at a glance
When creating a website, many different tools are used, depending on the need. Before a new online presence can go live, images need to be cropped, content prepared and the website itself created. In this article we present Four different program types ranging from particularly beginner-friendly to sophisticated:
- Online offerings for self-made websites (building-block solutions)
- Content Management Systems
- Professional web design software (desktop apps to install)
- Additional tools for web designers
Homepage construction kit
Who would like to provide itself a Website, can in the meantime from a multiplicity at rather uncomplicated building set offers after the Do-It-Yourself principle choose. Despite so many advantages, this variant has due disadvantages such as feature restrictions or limited customizability. In the article Professional website vs. Selfmade website we are already closer to the Weaknesses of website editors received.
So when it comes to a professional company website, you should use Don’t use a website builder. But for smaller, private projects or first steps in website design could u.a. the following tools might be worth a try:
- Checkdomain: Individual solutions from website to ranking boost on Google. Ideal for beginners without programming knowledge.
- WIX: An up-and-coming hybrid solution that can compete with more professional programs in terms of functionality, at least for simpler websites.
- Jimdo: Easy to use and smart styling options, while important interfaces and detail settings are missing.
- Webnode: With over 40 million users now a big name in the field of website creation, but you have to live with various limitations.
- Squarespace: A fancy construction kit program, which is most suitable for blogs, portfolios and small stores.
- Weebly: A construction kit provider that aligns its interface visually strongly with more professional systems, but has disadvantages in the editorial management of content.
- WordPress.com: The reduced entry-level variant of the popular CMS, not to be confused with the self-hosted WordPress software.
Content Management Systems
An content management system (short: CMS) is by definition a software that allows the management of website content (also in a team). But modern CMS can do much more than that, with some specific know-how you can create and design complete websites, blogs and/or online stores with it.
Here are some of the leading CMS, the current version of which is also all predestined for corporate website design:
- WordPress: With over 64% market share, currently the most popular basis for creating websites. Users appreciate the high flexibility and the sheer endless variety of (free as well as paid) plugins for functional expansion.
- Joomla!: The open source CMS allows the creation and management of websites without special expertise. Common website functions (incl. forums and newsletters) can be easily implemented with this program.
- Drupal: This CMS is much more complicated for beginners than WordPress or Joomla. On the other hand, it is characterized by extremely high scalability – even without programming skills – as well as by a meanwhile considerable community.
- Magento: An eCommerce software that has since been upgraded for use as a CMS. However, it is more suitable for larger companies, than for SME businesses.
- TYPO3: This CMS for creating websites of all kinds is considered to be more stable and performant than many other programs and can also handle more complex structures and hierarchies, but requires some expertise.
- webflow: A visual content management system, which is completely operated in the browser and could also be categorized as a homepage construction kit. The program moves at the interface between web design solutions for beginners and advanced users.
web design programs (desktop apps to install)
You want to create a homepage with a program installed locally on your PC or Mac? Then below we have a list of common applications for you to download. However, desktop apps for creating websites are on the decline due to the numerous solutions that can be operated directly in the web browser.
With the programs one differentiates between so-called WYSIWYG editors ("What you see is what you get" – intuitive application, where you only optionally write code yourself) and software for design and development, which usually requires specific know-how.
The overall trend is towards web-based software, but there are still significant programs for creating websites that are installed locally:
- Adobe XD: For professionals perhaps the tool of the hour, although you don’t create complete websites with it, but interactive prototypes and screen designs. This gives the look& Feel of a website before.
- Adobe Dreamweaver: For a long time Adobe’s flagship program for creating (static as well as dynamic) websites. In 2019, further development was de facto discontinued, although a software update was released again in 2021.
- Microsoft Visual Studio: The professional software for the development of all kinds of web services and for the creation of dynamic websites.
- Microsoft Expression Web: A somewhat dusty but easy to use program for the creation of homepages, with which HTML files can be edited within a graphical user interface. This is the successor of Microsoft Frontpage.
- Nvu HTML Editor: A freeware program, which is based on the WYSIWYG principle and therefore excellent for the uncomplicated creation of homepages.
- WebSite X5 Evolution/Professional: A software package for Windows that promises easy creation of web pages in five steps.
- MAGIX Web Designer: A simple program for creating simple websites with drag-and-drop as well as based on templates.
Additional website tools& Apps for web designers
If you want to create a homepage you usually need more programs than just a standalone webdesign software. Finally, want to find fonts, harmonize color schemes, or create visual content for homepage. A small selection of recommendable additional software for download, which should not be missing when tinkering with a website:
- a graphic or. Image editing program: for example Adobe Photoshop, Affinity, Paint.NET or GIMP
- a suite for the creation of visual content: Canva, Crello or Infogram
- a FTP client for transferring data to the web server: FileZilla, Transmit, Cyberduck, WS_FTP or FTP Voyager
- a program to create Color schemes: Adobe Color, ColorSlurp, Coolors
- a solution for the administration of preferred Fonts: Google Fonts, FontBase, FontAgent
Conclusion: Programs for homepage creation are a dime a dozen
If you want to create a homepage today, you’ll find a seemingly endless selection of programs – from free to high-priced. The "agony of choice" in the true sense of the word. Because as different as their orientation and functionality may be, only those who are willing to, a lot of time investing and learning how to use certain tools will be able to achieve satisfactory solutions. This also applies in a weakened form to Homepage construction kits, which promise simple operation and rapid success.
For commercial purposes, however, a website is of such central importance that no half measures and certainly no experiments should be made. So here it is recommended without exception to use a Website at the professional to be commissioned – tailored to one’s own needs. Because most programs for creating a website are simply either quite limited in their functions or can only be used reasonably with a certain level of expertise.