Child benefit during your studies

As a student, it is not always easy: numerous lectures, time pressure and often also exam stress – and in addition, in most cases it does not always look rosy financially. But did you know that you can receive child benefit during your entire time at university?? The lavish financial support from the German state could really help many students, but unfortunately only very few know that they can claim this entitlement at all. For this reason, we would like to take a closer look at the topic of child benefit during your studies and show you how you can claim the monthly financial injection, what stumbling blocks there are and what else you need to watch out for.

How much child benefit do I get?

The amount of child benefit depends on the number of children your parents have and is increased almost every year. Currently you can expect the following amounts:

calendar year 1. Child 2. child 3. child 4. Child
2019 204 € 204 € 210 € 235 €
2020 204 € 204 € 210 € 235 €
2021 219 € 219 € 225 € 250 €

So the more siblings you have, the more child benefit your parents will receive for you.

The amount of child benefit – which, by the way, was only increased by the German government in July 2019 – depends primarily on the number of children. This means that the more children under the age of 18 live in a household, the higher the total amount will also be. This is then made up as follows: For the first and second child, the parents each receive 219 euros per month. For the third child you get 225 Euro, while for each additional child you get 250 Euro per month. Accordingly, parents of five children, all of whom are under the age of majority, would receive a total of 1.088 euros received from the family benefits office.

Who is entitled to child benefit?

Child benefit is a tax relief for parents in Germany regardless of citizenship and income. Child benefit is paid for each underage child and Children in education up to the age of 25. Birthday. This also applies to students who no longer live with their parents.

This means that almost all students have the opportunity to claim child benefits throughout their first degree studies. The situation is somewhat different in the case of a second course of study or additional training after a course of study that has already been completed, but more on this later. The first step is to understand what child benefit actually is exactly, to whom it is paid and what conditions are attached to the financial support from the state.

The purpose of child benefit is to ensure that parents are able to provide for their children without having to face financial hardship. From a purely legal point of view, it is not you who is entitled to the monthly payment, but your parents. In addition, the child benefit is only paid up to your 18th birthday. Child benefit paid out on the 20th birthday. A continuation of the payments is possible, but then tied to certain conditions.

Entitlement to child benefit when studying abroad

Practically speaking, however, you do not necessarily have to study in Germany, because the child benefit claim can also be asserted when studying abroad. In addition, you can receive foreign bafog for your entire studies in the EU.

In the case of a study stay outside the EU countries or. of the EU economic area depends on the duration of the stay: In the case of a study stay of up to one year, there are usually no problems with the continued granting of child benefits.

Child benefit and income

If you earn extra money during your studies, you are no longer entitled to child benefit?

As a practical matter, your parents can receive child benefits from the state even if you earn money on the side during your studies. By the way, the amount of your income does not matter. However, this only applies during your initial education. If you already have a professional qualification and now want to start a second course of study, for example, the entitlement expires, as soon as your weekly working hours exceed the specified annual average of 20 hours.

If, for example, you work 40 hours full-time for two months during the semester break, you must reduce your working hours in the following months so that you return to the maximum 20 hours per week on average. The only exceptions are the so-called training service relationships (i.e. internships, traineeships, etc.).), mini-jobs on a 450-euro basis and short-term employment, such as project work.

Note, however, that if you work more than 20 hours per week, you can still receive child benefit during your studies, but not BAfoG. In addition, you would be excluded from the student health insurance.

Accordingly, parents of five children, all of whom are still in school, training or studying and would receive the 25. have not yet reached the age of 18, a total of 1.088 Euro from the family insurance fund.

child benefit study

Child benefit and BAfoG – is that possible at all??

The answer to this question is yes, because your parents are entitled to child benefit even if you receive the maximum BAfoG rate. This is mainly because child benefit is not included in the calculation of BAfoG support. However, whether you have access to child benefit in addition to BAfoG is understandably up to your parents – because as mentioned above, only they can apply for child benefit and then forward it to you, if necessary, in order to continue to support you in your studies.

Interaction of child benefit and other social benefits

Child benefit does not count as income anywhere except for Hartz 4. You do not need to declare child benefit in your housing subsidy or BAfoG application or in your tax return. Regardless of whether you receive child benefit as a student for yourself or for your child.

Applying for child benefit: How does it work and what special features do you have to pay attention to??

You submit the child benefit application or. your parents at your responsible family fund at the place of residence of your parents.

If your parents do not have German citizenship, they need a so-called settlement or residence permit to be able to apply for child benefit at all. EU citizens from member countries of the European Economic Area can apply directly for child benefits without any further restrictions. This must then be submitted in writing to the family benefits office. Important: The sooner you apply, the better – because child benefits applied for retroactively will only be paid for the last 24 weeks. The payment is then made monthly and in any case until the child reaches the age of majority.

If you are over your 18. If you want to receive child benefit beyond the age of 18, you must either be in vocational training, attending a general education school, doing a compulsory internship, traineeship or legal traineeship, or be enrolled at a technical college or university.

Applying for child benefit online and a final tip

Recently, the Federal Employment Agency and the Family Benefits Office (Familienkasse) have made it possible to apply for continued child benefit for studying children via the Internet. For this purpose, the Family Fund sends the parents a special access code after the completion of the child’s school education, which can be entered on the institution’s website in order to apply for the continued granting directly there.

In order for this to work smoothly, however, you must upload official proof of studies. If you are not sure whether you actually qualify for child benefits during your studies, or if you have doubts that you will be able to meet all the requirements in the near future, just file the application anyway. The best way is to go online directly to the family benefits office. This is very easy and takes only 5 minutes. The application is also processed very quickly. all you need is a tax ID.

Like this post? Please share to your friends:
Leave a Reply

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: