1. Wash your hair properly: less is more
Your hair looks greasy, so quickly get in the shower? Stop! Because washing your hair too often dries it out and stimulates your scalp to produce more sebum. The result: your hair will look greasy again even faster. I advise you therefore, your hair only about every two to three days to wash.
To permanently escape the vicious cycle of oily hair, you should wash your Wean hair from frequent washing. To do this, you should extend your usual hair washing rhythm step by step by not washing your hair for one day longer than usual each time. So your hair can "grease out" and the sebum production regulates itself. Yes, it takes some doing, but your hair will thank you for it.
2. Use mild shampoo without silicones
In the drugstore there is a huge selection of hair shampoos. But not all clean and care for your hair in the best possible way. The wrong care products can even harm your hair.
Your hair care shampoo should meet the following characteristics:
- mild surfactants: Surfactants are responsible for reliably cleaning hair and scalp from grease and dirt particles, but at the same time can irritate the scalp. If a shampoo contains extra mild surfactants, it cleans reliably and is gentle on your skin at the same time.
- without silicones& Parabens: Do not use shampoo with artificial additives such as silicones and parabens. These are deposited on the hair surface and ensure in the long term that care substances can no longer penetrate to the inside of the hair.
When washing your hair itself, just hazelnut-sized portion of shampoo per hair wash. Lather up the shampoo, distribute it in your hair and massage it lightly into the scalp. Then wash it out thoroughly.
By the way: The shampoo from Dr. Ute Schick cosmetics not only avoid silicones and parabens, but also contain highly concentrated active ingredients that specifically care for, repair and protect your hair.
3. Do not shower too hot
As pleasant as a hot shower can be for your well-being – too hot water is not a good idea for your hair. The problem: The high water temperatures dry out your hair and make it brittle. Wash your hair better with lukewarm water, to protect the valuable cuticle of your hair.
You already suffer from brittle hair? In my guide for "dry hair" I explain everything about the causes and show you which home remedies and care tips you can use to make your hair healthy again.
Always wash your hair with lukewarm water and a suitable shampoo.
4. Do not rub your hair dry
Especially when wet or damp, your hair is very sensitive and breaks more easily. For this reason, you should not vigorously rub your hair dry after showering, but carefully blot with a towel.
Why is wet hair so sensitive?
When hair gets wet, the hair structure opens and the cuticle swells up. This will make your hair more vulnerable and break off more easily if treated incorrectly. Therefore, make sure to dry and comb your hair carefully when damp. I recommend hair styling with a curling iron or straightener only when your hair is completely dry and you have heat protection.
5. Comb your hair instead of brushing it
Carefully detangle your hair when wet with a coarse-toothed comb, instead of using a brush. This is gentle on your hair structure! Leave-in conditioner or detangling sprays will also make your hair easier to comb.
6. Blow dry your hair properly
Similar to too hot water, too high a blow-dry temperature also damages the hair structure. Here is the hair care tip: Rather blow dry a few minutes longer, instead of risking broken hair.
Before blow drying your hair should be about Allow to air dry for 15 minutes. This closes the outer dandruff layer and the hair is less vulnerable to damage. With your hair dryer, set the lowest to medium temperature and use a high blower setting to dry your hair. Hold with the hair dryer at least 20 centimeters away from your head.
Caution: If you have fine hair, I recommend that you rather switch back one blower level. Otherwise, your hair will quickly get knotted.
3 professional tips for hair like after a visit to the hairdresser:
- Blow dry your hair with system: Pin up the top layer of hair with hair clips and blow dry your hair from underneath strand by strand. Blow dry the strands yourself from the roots to the tips.
- Use a diffuser attachment: This distributes the outflowing air even better and specifically protects your hair from too high blow dry temperatures.
- Increase your volume with the right technique: Hold your head at a slight angle and blow dry your hair from below close to the roots. As an alternative, you can also blow dry upside down against the direction of growth.
If you care for your hair properly and with high-quality products, you can look forward to healthy and shiny hair every day.
7. Start a pampering program with conditioner& Hair serum
If you want to care for your hair properly, you should also pamper it sometimes! There are numerous care products for this. But what is actually the difference between conditioner, hair serum and Co.? Explaining:
- Conditioner/Conditioner: This care product increases the ease of combing, smoothness and shine of your hair and prevents tangling. You should use a conditioner after every hair wash. When choosing products, however, make sure that they do not contain harmful substances such as parabens or silicones.
Important: Always rinse your hair well after use. If residues of the conditioner remain in your hair, it will become greasy more quickly.
- cure: A nourishing hair conditioner penetrates the hair and provides moisture. You should use them about every two weeks after regular shampooing.
- Hair serum / hair tonic: A hair serum is the intensive care for your hair. It is massaged into the damp or already dry scalp after washing your hair. The active ingredients provide more moisture, protection of the hair structure and a healthier scalp.
More information about our hair shampoo for women can be found here.
8. Avoid 2-in-1 products
Some hair care products advertise that they are a shampoo and conditioner in one. But be carefulBoth products have different tasks. While shampoo is to clean your hair from dirt with mild surfactants, the conditioner provides good combability and shine. Many 2-in-1 products cannot meet these two requirements.
That’s why I recommend that you avoid them and use instead Selected individual products Use products that care for your hair properly.
9. Have your tips cut regularly
Many women do not like this hair care tip. But even if you would like to let your hair grow as long as possible – a regular visit to the hairdresser is part of proper hair care. This will keep your hair healthy and remove split ends. Here it is usually sufficient to use about every eight to ten weeks the ends of your hair by one to two centimeters to have your hair shortened.
Proper hair care also includes having your ends trimmed and split ends removed regularly.
10. Make a braided hairstyle for the night
This hair care tip is particularly interesting for women with long hair: to prevent your hair from tangling during the night, it is worth using the Braid your hair into a loose braid. So you don’t have to spend hours detangling your hair after getting up, but can start styling straight away.
11. Provide extra care in summer and winter
In summer, it’s the sun or salt water on a beach vacation, and in winter, it’s the dry heating air and lots of blow-drying – so take extra care of your hair during these times and pamper it with an extra helping of conditioner.
Special hair treatments or Care products with integrated UV protection are particularly suitable for intensive care. On hot summer days, you should also refrain from exposing your wet hair to direct sunlight. The UV radiation will otherwise damage your hair structure and make it dry out faster.
12. Style your hair mindfully
Sharp-edged metal clips and tight hair elastics with metal fasteners destroy the cuticle of your hair and make it break more easily. Therefore, always make sure, Hair clips with gentle coating or to use with fabric coating.
Also, don’t tie your hair up in a ponytail or chignon too often. The hairs are otherwise often squeezed in the same place and tying them together puts more stress on the hair roots.
I recommend you additionally To let hair dry completely, before you start styling your hair. Because especially when wet, your hair is sensitive and can break more quickly.
Hair properly care: actually quite simple!
With the appropriate care products and a little extra time for washing, blow drying and styling, you can take care of your hair quite easily. With my team of Dr. Ute Schick cosmetics I develop exactly the hair care products that you need. Highly concentrated active ingredients strengthen the hair structure and specifically soothe your scalp – for beautiful and healthy hair.
You can find more information about our hair shampoo for women here.