After a compulsory internship during your studies you usually have to write an internship report. Often it is even graded – or it is at least a deciding factor for the grade in a subject or a study module.
On this page you will learn everything you need to know to be able to present a perfect internship report to your lecturer.
The most important facts in brief
- If you take notes during your internship, it will be easier for you to write your internship report later.
- An internship report always consists of at least a cover page, table of contents, introduction, body and conclusion.
- Write your internship report from the first person perspective and in the past tense.
- Stick to certain formal guidelines: Good readability should always be the focus.
Are you looking for the next internship again?? Or do you want to gain professional experience and earn good money as a student trainee?? No problem! Here on MyInternship.de find thousands of exciting internships and working student jobs.
Looking for an internship?
Available working student positions
Looking for a job as a working student?
Why do you actually have to write an internship report?
An internship is often an important experience for students: As an intern or. Interns gain an insight into an industry that interests them and also have a bit of a break from everyday university life. However, most interns would gladly do without the internship report following their mandatory internship. But why do you have to write an internship report at all?
- Internship report as an examination performance: Most internships are only valid once your internship supervisor has a proper internship report in his hands. Otherwise, you may not be able to complete a module without a report.
- Classify what you have experienced and learned: The internship report is not only for your lecturer, but for you as well. It helps you to reflect on the impressions of your internship and to deepen what you have learned. It is often only through the internship report that interns discover the benefits of the annoying tasks they had to perform. Or the other way around: they realize that they would rather pursue a different line of work after all.
- Preparation for scientific work: The internship report should also prepare you for scientific work in college or. train this further. In terms of structure, such a report is very similar to the scientific papers that one writes at the university.
When should I start writing the internship report??
First finish the internship and then, when you have more time again, think about the internship report!? This may sound like the sensible order to follow. But this is not how it should be done right now: If you start already during your internship, the content of your internship report will be better and in the end you will probably even save time!
The reason is simple: You will quickly forget such events and aspects from your internship or at least make them less present in your mind. Especially if your internship lasts several months. If you then devote yourself to the report some time after the end of the internship, you will have to painstakingly dig everything out of your memory. Maybe you even have to ask colleagues again. And in the worst case you don’t remember important things at all or you reproduce them wrongly.
Of course, you are not supposed to sit down for several hours after you get off work to write your internship report. Just make a few notes in the evening about what you did, experienced and thought about during the day. These notes will greatly help you to write a good and complete internship report!