Try to copy your favorite movie from DVD to Mac so that you can watch the movie without DVD in the external drive? Actually you can copy movies from DVD to hard drive manually or with a program Mac. We will show you in this article how to run DVD copy Mac and then play it. We also explain the role of copy protection in this process.
Part 1. How to copy DVD to Mac
If you have an Apple device without a built-in optical DVD drive, you can use an external drive to copy DVD Mac. How to burn DVDs using the disk utility.
- To copy a DVD to hard drive Mac, insert the DVD you want to copy into the drive. You do not need a separate burning program.
- Then launch Disk Utility and click on the icon of the inserted DVD on the left side.
- Now in the menu click File and then navigate to File/New Image/Image of. .
- Select the image with the DVD name and enter a name for the copy you want to create.
- At Format you can now select the format and location you want to use.
- Then click Save, to start the copying process.
- To burn the copied content to a new DVD, insert a blank DVD and start the process in the menu item New Burn Folder.
- CDs can also be copied in much the same way as DVDs.
- Using the Duplicate Option on Mac
The Mac has a built-in function for DVD copying Mac as well as burning a DVD:
- Select the DVD file you want to copy
- Go to File in the Finder window and click on Copy or burn DVD
Part 2. How to copy your DVD to Mac with Handbrake
You can also use third-party software to copy DVDs to your Mac hard drive. There are many software available for this purpose.
HandBrake is an open-source app that lets you copy DVDs to run Mac. HandBrake can burn all unprotected DVDs, but you still need to install additional tools before you can use it to copy protected/encrypted DVDs. You can check HandBrake here https://handbrake.fr/downloads.download php.
- First you need to download and install Handbrake
- Insert a DVD and open Handbrake in the background. The software from the third party vendor can detect DVD automatically. You can also do this manually by going to Source Go and find the DVD in the pop-up window
- Adjust the output settings, z. B. MP4 (for Mac and iOS devices). However, if you want to copy it specifically for your iPhone, iPad or iPod, open the toggle presets and select the device you want to use. It will also correspond to the file size and quality.
- Select the size
- Click on Start and wait for the process to finish
- Once done, you can now watch the movie on your Mac and possibly transfer the to another iOS device.
- The copying vs. Burning a DVD
You can get content on DVDs using these two methods. But these methods use different ways and are used for different purposes. DVD Copy Mac copies the content and saves it to a different location, keeping the same file format. However, burning DVDs is more about copying the DVD content to another storage while changing the file format.
Burning DVD changes the data to make it more convenient to download and play on different devices like iPhone and iPad.
Both processes are usually run by third party.
- Is it illegal to copy digitally protected DVDs?
In the USA and the UK, copying DVDs is allowed according to the following laws Digital Millennium Copyright Act illegal. But the laws differ in different places. The laws of some countries allow you to copy DVD to Mac for personal use. However, you should not copy the DVDs protected by copyrights.
- Ripping a DVD for any purpose other than your personal use may be illegal in your region.
- Modern DVDs have strict security features against unauthorized copying, so ripping some DVDs is often impossible in the first place.
- How to move the burned movies to iPhone or iPad
You can copy the burned DVD to hard drive Mac or move or transfer to other devices, as well as change the format to reduce the file size and ensure compatibility.
To watch your favorite movie anywhere and anytime after copying it to your Mac, follow the steps below:
- Open iTunes and drag the movie file to iTunes
- Connect the iOS device you want to use
- Select the check box synchronize movies and make sure that the movie you want to copy is also checked
- Click Synchronize
So you finally copied the burned movie DVD from Mac to your iPhone / iPad.
- Copying Blu-ray disc is also easy, but may take longer compared to DVD.
Tips: This step again apply to the DVDs, otherwise you might encounter problems with the authority.
Part 3. Manage your movies
Large and old files can help you find obsolete files that take up a lot of space on your Mac. Delete them, saving more space for other files. Follow simple steps to use this feature:
1. Select the Large and Old Files module and click SCAN to start the scanning process.
2. See the scan result, the files are sorted by type, date and size. By type you can choose from archives, pictures, movies, music and others. By date, you can view files downloaded a year ago, a month ago, a week ago, and within 7 days ago. According to size, there are files that belong to large, average and small.
3. You can also see all the files in the overview and select files you want to remove, then press PURGE. To delete your unwanted large and old files.
4. A "Cleaning process completed" window shows how many files have been cleaned and how much space is now available on your hard drive. If you want to save more space, you can also clear the remaining items by clicking the "Check" button click.
Part 4. Conclusion
There are many method available to you to copy DVD to Mac and transfer the burned movie to your iPhone and iPad. However, you should carefully choose which method is best for you.
In this article you will learn how to copy DVD Mac and move the burned movies to iPhone or iPad. I hope that with these methods you will be able to watch your favorite movies copied from DVD at home comfortably!