When you run, you burn a lot of calories – so not only does it keep you fit, but the sport can also help you lose weight . But can walking? Which activity is more likely to help you burn calories?? We have looked at the facts for you!
Everyone knows that calorie expenditure is greater for a 15-minute run than for a 15-minute walk. But does anything change when you focus on distance instead of time?
In short, how many calories do you burn in a 1km run and how many in a 1km walk?
Calorie consumption: Walking vs. Running
Running is a more intense activity, so it also burns more calories per minute than walking – sounds logical. However, walking takes longer for 1 kilometer because it is slower than running.
So the problem is:
- 1 km walk = more (↑) calories burned per minute, fewer (↓) active minutes
- Walking 1 km = fewer (↓) calories burned per minute, more (↑) active minutes
So which one burns more calories overall?
How many calories are burned in the two activities depends on many factors (age, weight, fitness level, pace, running surface, …). But if you compare the calories burned over the same distance, the Speed crucial.
It’s the speed that counts
Theoretically, there is a speed at which you burn the same amount of calories (per minute) both when running and walking: it is around 8 km/h.
However, this is a very fast pace that only trained speedwalkers can do. For the average person, 5 to 6 km/h is already fast. However, if you are running, 〜8 km/h is rather slow.
Now you’re probably wondering: What if you run or walk at different speeds?
When walking, the slower you walk, the fewer calories you burn. And runners burn more calories when they run faster.
But here’s the trick:
Once you reach a certain speed in running, the difference in calories burned per minute is minimal. But if you compare a slow walk and a fast run on a distance of 1 km with each other, the biggest difference shows up.
Why is the difference in calories burned between a moderate and a fast run so small?
We can walk very slowly, but not run infinitely fast. From a slow walk to a moderate run, your speed can increase by 50 to 100%. However, the faster we run, the sooner we reach our limit. Increasing the speed gradually is more strenuous, but burns only negligibly more calories.
You want to know how many calories you are burning?
The calorie calculator below will show you your calorie burn when walking vs. while running at a certain speed (calories per kilometer and per hour).
Calories burned while walking vs. Running (calculator)
*This calculator is based on the METs (metabolic equivalents) for a physical activity provided by the Compendium of Physical Activities . The result may differ from the actual calories burned due to individual differences and the afterburn effect.
Should you prefer to run or walk to lose weight?
Benefits of running (for weight loss)
, You burn up to 30% more calories running than walking the same distance.
- With high-intensity running, you can also benefit from the after-burn effect.
- If you want to burn a lot of calories in a short time, running is better than walking.
So what are you waiting for? Track your runs, get great workout plans, and get motivation from your friends. All you need is the adidas Running App .
Running is not for you? No problem, walking also has numerous benefits and can help you lose weight.
Advantages of walking (for weight loss)
- Because of the low intensity, a higher percentage of calories burned come from your fat stores.
- A one-hour walk is relaxing and you can burn more than 200 calories.
- Bonus: Walking is easier on your muscles and joints.
- In addition, you can easily incorporate a few minutes of walking into your daily routine without having to plan an entire workout.
If "normal" walking is too boring for you, try Nordic Walking! The advantage: you strengthen your upper body, torso and your legs.
Even though running burns more calories than walking, both activities will help you lose weight. To get started, simply reduce your daily calories and get more exercise to help you burn fat!
It is important to change your diet – exercise alone is not enough. Try to eat healthier and pre-cook your meals . Whether you prefer to run or go for a walk, tracking your food will make it easier for you to lose weight.
To the point
Here’s what you should know about your calorie burn when running vs. Knowing how to walk:
- Running burns more calories per minute than walking. However, the high intensity makes it harder to keep going for a long time.
- A moderate run will about 30% more calories burned than a slow walk for the same distance. Increased speed while walking results in only a minimal increase in calories burned.
- If you also change your diet, both running and walking will help you lose weight.
To burn the same amount of calories walking as running the same distance, you would have to move at the same speed – which unfortunately only trained speedwalkers can do.
Either way – pick the activity that you enjoy the most and feel good about doing. This will help you to stay active and you will soon see first results!