Sony Interactive naturally also offers the PlayStation 5 at PlayStation Direct (Images: Sony Interactive)
One year after the launch of the PlayStation 5, PlayStation Direct opens in Germany. Will PS5 purchase be easier if you can order directly from Sony?
Update from 25. January 2022 (12 p.m.): PS5 stock on PlayStation Direct is out of stock for today.
Update from 25. January 2022 (11:30am): Most waiting customers are showing a wait time of over an hour. It probably won’t last that long: In case of early sellout, the action can also be ended much earlier. In any case, please have your PSN access data and credit card ready so as not to lose unnecessary time.
At least: The page refreshes automatically – a beep is played when you get in. Good luck!
Update from 25. January 2022 (11:03 a.m.): After the end of the regular sales window for invited PlayStation customers, Sony Interactive opens PS5 sales to everyone: the queue is open.
Please note: The contingent is usually very manageable. And: You need a Visa or Mastercard credit card to order the PS5. Please also note the following.
PlayStation Direct is the online "factory sale" of Sony Interactive: So you order hardware and software directly from the PlayStation manufacturer. This option has already been available in the U.S. since 2019 – in Germany, the online store has only been available since 8. November 2021 open.
The following products are currently available at PlayStation Store:
- SOLD OUT PlayStation 5 game consoles (with drive for €499.99 – Digital Edition for €399.99)
- NEW DualSense Wireless Controller in White (€69.99), Midnight Black (€69.99),and Cosmic Red (€74.99), Nova Pink (€79.99 – since 14. January 2022), Galactic Purple (79,99 € – since 14. January 2022) and Starlight Blue (€79.99 – since 14. January 2022)
- NEW PS5 cover (side panels / faceplates) in five colors (54.99 € – from 21. January 2022)
- Pulse 3D wireless headset in white or midnight black (€99.99 each)
- PS5 media remote control (29.99 €)
- PS5 HD Camera (59.99 €)
- PS5 Dualsense charging station (29.99 €)
- PS5 games from Sony Interactive (z. B. Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Returnal)
- PlayStation Plus memberships
- PlayStation Now memberships
- PlayStation 4 hardware (consoles, PlayStation VR)
Who can order at PlayStation Direct?
Basically, every adult customer who has a delivery address in mainland Germany. Customers in Austria and Switzerland will have to be patient until PlayStation Direct is also available there.
Is it worth buying at PlayStation Direct?
Accessories and PS5 games will be offered at list price – meaning that for comparatively new PS5 titles like Returnal or Ratchet& Clank: Rift Apart will be due stately 79.99 € – at mail order companies and electronics stores, the prices are clearly including. Tip: If you’re a PlayStation Plus member, shipping costs are waived.
Which payment methods are accepted at PlayStation Direct?
For the time being, to order from PlayStation Direct in Germany, you’ll need mandatory A credit card – only Visa and Mastercard are currently accepted.
How to buy a PS5 at PlayStation Direct?
The PS5 purchase at PlayStation Direct is a bit ‘special’ and works like this:
- The basic requirement is a PlayStation Network (PSN) account – which inevitably every customer who already owns a PlayStation 4 has. With these credentials, you can also log in to PlayStation Direct.
- PlayStation Direct has just started in Germany. So far, only four regular PS5 sales have taken place, namely on 24. November, on 3. December, on 15. December and on 25. January 2022 – the device is otherwise "not available".
- As soon as there is a PS5 quota for the first time, Sony Interactive will write to specifically selected customers via e-mail to. NEW FROM 18. JANUARY 2022: Unlike in the past, the selection is no longer made alone "based on existing interests and PlayStation activities.". Instead, you must actively express your interest by registering. This also applies to customers in Germany. Important: Check under the menu item "Messages", whether a check mark at the entry "Received by email" is set – otherwise Sony should not contact you.
- Included in the invitation email is a personalized link to PlayStation Direct store. Within the specified period, you can then order the PS5 – but per household only a Console and only while stocks last. Access to the online store is regulated by queuing system.
- Again, please note that you will need a credit card (Visa, Mastercard) for ordering and payment.
- A lesson learned from the first PlayStation Direct sale: Only open the invitation link in the specified time window – not beforehand. Also, do not use the link with multiple devices (smartphone, PC, tablet, etc).) and also don’t open it in multiple tabs of your browser. Rule of thumb: a Device, an Browser, a Tab. background: if the system gets the impression that you want to log in more than once with the same invitation, you may get error messages and temporary ‘forced pauses’.
- On 3. December, on 15. December and on 25. January 2022 a public PS5 sale has taken place following the invite drop. Access to the online store is regulated by a queuing system. Also mandatory in this case: firstly a PSN account and secondly a credit card.
How can I be sure that this is really a ‘real’ invitation from Sony Interactive and not a phishing email?
As a rule, be skeptical when you receive unsolicited e-mail mail from a company. In the specific case, there are two indications that this is indeed an original mail from Sony:
- PlayStation Direct invitations will only go to email addresses linked to the respective PSN account.
- Sender is a playstation.com address.
- Customers are ‘addressed’ by their PSN name. Update: This was true at least for the 1. Round of emails – in the invitation of 1. December salutation is not included.
If you are unsure, you are also welcome to contact the editors.
What are the chances of grabbing a PlayStation 5 at PlayStation Direct?
Unlike the usual "PS5 drops" in the German online and mail order business, the purchase of PlayStation Direct is much more relaxed, because just only a select group of customers participates. In addition, the quotas are still very manageable, at least for now. The sales focus is clearly on retail.
The real hurdle, however, is getting an email from Sony at all. Knowing that well over 7 million PlayStation 4 consoles have been sold in Germany alone, you can guess the number of "competitors". Because all these PS4 owners inevitably have a PSN account as well. An estimated seven-digit number has switched to PlayStation 5 in the past twelve months, so falls through the cracks. But even if you mentally discount non-credit card owners, there still remains an enormous number of potential buyers for the PS5 contingent of PlayStation Direct.
The pros/cons of buying PS5 on PlayStation Direct: You can not actively influence or accelerate the process. As long as you have a PSN account and have expressed your interest (see above), the only hope is that sooner or later the Sony algorithm will select you and send you an email.
For an overview of promising PS5 retail sources in Germany, check out this post. From Monday to Friday, we also inform you daily fresh about the latest developments on the German PlayStation 5 market in our PS5 ticker.
Update from 18. January 2022 (9:30 a.m.): From now on you can express your interest in a PlayStation 5 within PlayStation Direct by logging into PlayStation Network and clicking on the "Sign Up" button. This also applies to customers in Germany.
We have updated the post accordingly.
Update from 3. December 2021 (11:15 a.m.): In addition to the PS5 sale via email invitation, Sony Interactive has started a "public" PS5 sale for the first time this morning without warning. A separate invitation is not necessary for this. Those who log in will be placed on a waiting list, which will be worked through one by one.
The de facto chances of getting a PS5 are likely to be slim, due to the usually small quantities and large crowds. Please note: For the purchase on PlayStation Direct, you need a mandatory credit card (Visa or Mastercard).
Update from 1. December 2021 (15:30): This coming Friday morning (3. December, starting at 9 a.m.) there will be another PS5 sale at PlayStation Direct. The email invitations were sent out in the past few minutes. More information can be found at the bottom of this post.
Update from 24. November 2021 (7pm): This morning, the second attempt for a PlayStation 5 sale went over at PlayStation Direct – this time successfully: Those who received an invitation email could order a maximum of one console during a two-hour window in a comparatively relaxed manner.
It is unclear when the next PS5 contingent will be unlocked by Sony Interactive. The selected customers will be informed by mail two days in advance in any case.
Answers to many more questions about PlayStation Direct can be found at the bottom of this article.
Update from 22. November 2021 (15:45): Almost two weeks after the first PlayStation Direct run-up, Sony Interactive is starting another attempt: This afternoon, the email invitations were sent out again to selected PSN customers (check spam folder if necessary). On Wednesday morning, however, the Sony contingents will be unlocked once again.
To find out how the PS5 purchase ‘works’ at PlayStation Direct, check out the FAQ below, which we’ve updated with new insights.
Update from 11. November 2021 (4pm): Sony Interactive has informed customers that the PS5 sale at PlayStation Direct did not go through due to technical issues. There should be another attempt shortly.
Still valid: those who have an active PSN account do not have to do anything else. The users are selected by Sony Interactive and ‘invited’ by mail.
Update as of 11. November 2021 (12 noon): The kickoff of PS5 sales at this morning’s PlayStation Direct was accompanied by technical issues. At the moment we do not have a proven order yet.
You can follow the latest developments in today’s PS5 ticker.
Update from 10. November 2021 (4pm): According to as yet unconfirmed information, Sony Interactive has written to PSN customers in Germany for the first time and "invited" to order a PlayStation 5 at PlayStation Direct.
These customers can buy tomorrow Thursday morning (11. November) log in with their PSN credentials and buy a console during a two-hour window – at least while supplies last. The link included in the mail is directly linked to the PSN account – so sharing it is not possible.
If you have received such an email: Feel free to send us a screenshot by mail.
Update from 15. December 2021 (12 o’clock): The announced ‘private sale’ to a selected group of customers took place this morning between 9 and 11 a.m. Eligible PSN users had been previously informed by Sony Interactive.
Afterwards there was a ‘public sale’, for which no invitation was needed – but a credit card. Because the purchases at PlayStation Direct can be paid so far only with Visa or Mastercard, but not via PayPal, bank transfer or Amex.
According to our surveys, the contingent has turned out to be significantly larger than on 3. December. The consoles will be shipped within the next few days and should in any case arrive in time for the festivities.
For more information on how PS5 drops on PlayStation Direct, see below in this article.
Update from 14. December 2021 (10 am): Sony Interactive on Monday sent out invitations for a PS5 sale tomorrow, Wednesday (15.12. / 9 to 11 a.m.) sent – and to those email addresses that are linked to the PSN account (Subject: "Confirmed! Your exclusive invitation to order a PS5 console" – Sender: a playstation.com address). Please also check your spam folder.
Update from 13. December 2021 (12 noon): Sony Interactive will also use PlayStation Direct to exclusively pre-sell new products. Latest example: The new DualSense Wireless Controller in purple (Galactic Purple) is already available from 14. January 2022 orderable directly from Sony – in stores, there will be the model only from the 11. February 2022.
The same applies to the brand new change covers ("faceplates"): The variants in Midnight Black and Cosmic Red are available from 21. January at PlayStation Direct in the assortment – mail-order companies and electronics stores can only buy the side panels from the 18. Offer February.