Exerting pressure would be the wrong way and would only degenerate into power struggles. Calmness and patience are crucial. Your child will already know when he or she is hungry and will eat accordingly sooner or later.
For example, if your child doesn’t gain weight or grow for several months, has pain when eating, or the problem doesn’t improve for months, a visit to the doctor is recommended.
There are many ways to eat healthy on a regular basis. For example, for a balanced diet you should cook as varied as possible. Your child can also take in minerals and vitamins via delicious smoothies.
Many parents despair when their child eats too little and fear deficiencies. To reassure you in advance: a healthy child will not go hungry voluntarily, which is why it is primarily your job as a parent to Keep calm. Often the problem solves itself. The following article explains how you should proceed if it does not.
1. With toddlers, complaining about food is part of the daily routine
Eating problems rarely occur in infants
Babies are relatively seldom bad eaters, because the little ones still grow quite quickly in their first year and have a correspondingly large nutritional requirement. However, after the first year of life, growth slows down and the energy requirement decreases. This is why the impression arises that toddlers are suddenly less hungry – as parents, you should therefore not go crazy right away.
The older the child gets, the more precise their idea of what a sensible lunch should look like and what should definitely not be on the plate for lunch becomes. Nagging about food you should do not take it personally. Kids just want to use it to keep their slow-growing Prove independence and demonstrate that they can already take care of themselves all by themselves.
Do not put your child under pressure
Putting pressure on the little ones would be the wrong way and would only degenerate into power struggles. Calmness and patience are crucial here. Your child will know when it is hungry and will eat something sooner or later. Trust the natural Your child’s hunger pangs – this also applies to one, two or three year old children.
If your child eat nothing or too little, can be the following cause are the basis:
- Immediately after an illness
- The child is incubating a disease
- The last molar breaks through
- A growth spurt is complete
- Lack of appetite due to constant snacking
- Restlessness at family meals
Notice: Even a complete refusal of healthy food is considered normal in the short term – especially during stressful periods of defiance. In this case, your child expresses quite clearly whether he or she is hungry or would prefer to continue playing after all.
2. If your child eats poorly for several days, a visit to the doctor may be advisable
There is always a way to make food palatable to your child.
If you are concerned that your child may be at risk of malnutrition, the Keep a food diary be helpful. At the same time, you should not forget to include any Add in drinks, snacks, or sweet treats. Eventually, at the end of the observation, you may realize that your child has not been eating as little as he or she first appeared to be eating.
It may be that keeping a food diary is the only way to find out how much your child eats Milk or juice Your child eats throughout the day. If it has already satisfied its Calorie needs met If your child has a poor appetite, it can be weaker feeling of hunger. The same applies to sweets or snacks such as chocolate or potato chips. So it may be that your child is not eating badly, but is simply already satiated by the constant snacking.
Now, of course, the question arises: When should you go to the doctor? A visit to the doctor is advisable if one or more of the following observations apply:
- Your child does not gain weight or grow for several months
- Your offspring lose weight
- Your child becomes or is permanently ill
- There are swallowing or feeding difficulties. Chewing problems
- Your child has pain when eating
- If your child is not eating well for a short period of time, but for weeks or even months at a time
- Keep the weight at or even below the 3. percentile
Here you can learn about the possibilities of naturopathy to treat appetite loss in children.
3. A healthy and balanced diet is the responsibility of parents
The nutritional needs vary from day to day
How much your child eats on any given day is not that important. The Nutritional needs and even appetite vary from day to day. The decisive factor is whether a toddler has eaten enough throughout the week.
Parents often criticize their children’s one-sided diet and advise them to eat more fruits and vegetables. At this point you should question yourself. Have you set a good example of a healthy and balanced diet to your child? you may be eating and drinking exactly what you want your child to avoid?
If this is the case, you should also work on your own eating behavior and show your child that you also eat a balanced diet. Eat Fruit or vegetables at all meals and explain to your child that this is important in order to absorb vital vitamins and minerals
With the following tips you can healthy food into your daily routine Integrate
- Your child can also get minerals and vitamins through delicious smoothies.
- Cook as varied as possible to give your child a balanced diet.
- Children learn by imitation. Model for your child exactly the eating behavior that you expect from him or her.
- The eye eats with you. A visually appealing dish makes you want to eat it much more immediately. Funny decorations, such as flowers or faces, make children’s eyes light up.
- Many children love to be able to help shop for and cook lunch. If this also applies to your child, you should definitely take advantage of this circumstance and introduce your child to food procurement and preparation in a playful way.
4. Tips against eating problems
It is important that your child enjoys eating. Then hunger comes all by itself.
If your child does not want to eat at all, he or she should not be forced to do so – after all, your offspring should eat Combine eating with fun and enjoyment. Talk to your child and find out which foods he or she does not like to eat at all. In this way, you can ensure that there is always something on the table that tastes good to your child.
Basically, you should do everything to ensure that your child enjoys eating. It makes sense to also to serve healthy food in a nice way and the Meals always to be taken together or to serve your favorite meal more often.
Attention: Don’t overdo it trying to please your child all the time. Otherwise you can spoil it quickly, causing it to eat only selected food in the worst case.
Many parents have a particularly hard time getting their child used to vegetables. A child’s sense of taste is still somewhat sensitive to bitter tastes. so it can be useful, raw vegetables with Curd or yogurt dip or serve it in a smoothie. Also, it can be helpful to cut appropriate vegetables such as peppers, carrots, or cucumbers into sticks and serve as a kind of "vegetable fries" offer. That children do not like fruit is rather rare. But if it should be the case, you can freshly squeezed juices Remedy.