A book can have 200 pages, a movie often 90 minutes – you would need a lot of time to retell the content one to one. So the short version is needed: short, understandable and in the right order.
Status: 13.05.2011 | Archive
_v-img__16__9__l_-1dc0e8f74459dd04c91a0d45af4972b9069f1135.jpg" alt="Illustration GRIPS German Teacher- Lesson 21 | BR | Picture: BR" />
In everyday life, tables of contents and also text summaries are often in demand. That is why they are often required at school. Content summaries show whether you have understood a text, because only then can you summarize it successfully.
Always used: text summaries
You also need to filter out the most important information in order to clarify organizational matters via text message. Even before you buy a book, read the summary on the spine to see if it might interest you – this is also a kind of text summary. There are many more examples that could be listed here, why and how the text summary is so important. One of the most important: if you can summarize a text well, you have understood its content.
Here are a few tips for you on how to get the most out of long texts. How to proceed? How do I know that this is really the most important information??
1. You have to read the text very carefully. It is best to take a pencil and cross out words you do not understand. Then clarify them, either with the help of the text or with the dictionary.
2. Divide the text into sections. Imagine the text in pictures. Whenever the picture changes, a new section begins, for example, a change of location, change of topic, start of a conversation, new action.
3. Summarize each paragraph in one sentence. Or try to find a heading over a paragraph.
The beginning should sit
It is important to write a good introduction right at the beginning, which should contain some information.
The introduction of the summary
In the introduction should appear:
- Text type (non-fiction text, short story, report, report, film)
- Name of the author
- Title of the text
- Short sentence that summarizes the entire content of the text
In the reportage (text type) "Canada and its bears (name of title) by Hugo von Barenstark (name of author) is about the habits and habitat of Canadian brown bears and why their population is in danger. (content in one sentence).
- Write only the most important things!
- Leave out the details and the literal speech!
- Write in the present tense!
- Use the "He-Form!
- Pay attention to the order!
- Write factual!
You need some practice to be able to summarize texts correctly. The mediaboxes and the exercise part can give you even more tips and the necessary safety. Just try it!