Incorrect opening hours, an old phone number or even a duplicate company entry in Google Maps – all annoying circumstances that you want to fix as quickly as possible. But how does it work at all?
Can I directly Access my Google listing (also called Google My Business entry) and manage the data there? Of course!
And how can I change the information in my Google listing? This is often not so easy. In this blog article I describe the individual steps for the following problems:
Limited operation due to Corona crisis? Here are helpful tips for your Google listing.
1. Re-create Google entry
If your business does not yet have a directory listing on Google Maps / Google My Business, you will need to complete the following steps:
2. Enter the name of your business in the search box.
3. Click on "Create a business with this name".
4. Follow the next steps and provide details about the company (location / catchment area, category, contact details etc).).
5. Next you have to choose the confirmation method: One can choose between phone number, e-mail and postcard to receive the five- to six-digit confirmation code (if you don’t have a fixed location, only the "postcard" option works).
6. After receiving the confirmation code, enter it in the field and confirm it.
Attention: When a window appears with the message "This entry has already been claimed" is displayed, then proceed as below from 2) b) 5. specified.
2. Claim ownership of an existing listing
If your business already exists in Google Maps / Google My Business, you need to do the following steps. If nobody is the owner of the business entry yet, it works as described in a). If someone else is already managing your Google listing, you have to proceed as described in b) above.
a) If your entry has not been claimed yet, then via Google Maps
1. Go to Google Maps.
2. Enter company name in the search box.
3. Below the opening hours you will see "Register as owner" – select this.
4. Click on the blue button "Manage now" on the right side.
5. Next, one must select the confirmation method: You can choose between phone number, e-mail and postcard to receive the five- to six-digit confirmation code.
6. After receiving the confirmation code, enter it in the field and confirm it.
(b) If someone is already claiming ownership, do so through Google My Business
1. Sign in to your Google My Business account (or create a new Google My Business account).
2. Select "Manage locations" in the left menu bar.
3. On the right side, select the blue drop-down menu "Add locations" and select the item "Add single location".
4. Enter the business name in the window, as soon as the name of your business appears, select it.
5. In the next step, the following message will appear with an initial indication of the current owner’s email address. Click on "Request access".
6. In the last step you have to provide further information about yourself and your role in the company. Finally click on "Send.
7. The current owner will now receive an e-mail with a request to respond to your access request.
8. Once the current owner has transferred ownership to you, you will receive a confirmation email.
3. Change Google listing
To change company information in the Google listing, there are basically three ways:
a) Change Google listing via Google Maps (without registration)
Here’s how businesses can change your Google Maps listing:
1. Enter the business name in the search window in Google Maps.
2. Click on the corresponding business profile.
3. At the very bottom, select the "Suggest a change" option.
4. In the window that opens, click on "Change name or other details".
5. Select what you want to change e.g. the opening hours, the address or the category.
6. Confirm the change by clicking on done.
7. Click on the "Send" button in the upper right corner.
Attention: It may take up to 60 days for the changes to be published in Google Maps. If this takes too long for you, you will have to switch to option b) Via Google My Business.
b) Change Google entry via Google My Business
To edit and optimize your Google (Maps) entry in detail, you should take the path via Google My Business. It is easy to change business information through your Google My Business account.
1. Sign in to your Google My Business account. If you have not yet registered as the owner of your business on Google My Business, you must first follow the steps above.
2. Select the "Info" item in the menu on the left. This is where you can do most things like z.B. Change opening hours, address, phone number or linked website of your Google listing.
Tip: An overview of all functions and settings in Google My Business, you will find in the following blog article Tips for optimizing your Google entry.
c) Change Google listing directly via Google Search
Business owners who are logged into their Google account can now also modify their Google My Business listing directly in search. Simply enter the business name in the search window and then make the appropriate change.
4. Remove marked as closed
It happens from time to time that a Google listing is mistakenly marked as "permanently closed" or as "Temporarily closed has been marked. Google did this automatically in some cases in the Corona crisis.
Of course the settings can be "temporarily closed" or "permanently closed remove:
1. Log in to your Google My Business account. If you do not have an account yet, first proceed as described above.
2. Select the item "Info" in the left menu bar.
3. On the right hand side you will find the section "Reopen your business on Google".
4. Select the option "Mark as open" there.
5. Confirm in the small window with "OK.
5. Delete Google entry
If you want to delete a Google listing, there are a few things you should keep in mind to avoid making unnecessary and time-consuming mistakes. First of all, the question arises why you want to delete the Google entry? Most of the time, there are two main reasons why businesses want to delete their Google Maps / Google My Business listing: a) Because you z.B. want to remove your Google listing due to a business closure and b) because there are duplicate business listings.
a) Google Entry z.B. Mark as permanently closed due to closure of business
If you want to close a location, for example, due to a business closure, you can mark a Google listing as permanently closed as follows:
If you have only one Google My Business entry..
1. Sign in to your Google My Business account. If you don’t have an account yet, first proceed as described in 2) a).
2. Select the "Info" item in the left menu bar.
3. There you will find the "Close or remove entry" section on the right side of the page.
4. There, select the option "Mark as permanently closed".
5. Confirm with "OK" in the small window.
If you have multiple locations..
1. Log in to your Google My Business account (or create a new Google My Business account).
2. Select the "Manage Locations" item in the left menu bar.
3. From the list of locations, select the business you want to delete by checking a box.
4. Click on the right side on the wise button "Actions" (or also the three-dot menu) and the drop-down menu will pop up.
5. There, select the option "Mark as permanently closed".
6. Confirm with "OK" in the small window.
Attention: Clicking on the "Remove Location" option will only remove the business from your Google My Business profile, but will not completely delete it from Google Search or Google Maps. So you can’t manage the post anymore, but it will still be available for searchers z.B. as "permanently removed" Display. If you want to delete the Google entry completely, you have to proceed as described at 6. proceed as described.
b) Delete Google entry due to a duplicate
If there are duplicate sites, you also have to distinguish again into different cases. I explain the best way to proceed to delete a duplicate Google listing in the blog article Remove duplicate Google location or merge two locations.
6. Remove company from Google permanently
If you have closed your Google My Business listing and customers search for the business name in Google or even in Google Maps, searchers will still see the affected business as "Permanently Closed". This is to help customers know about the status of your business.
But how can you really delete your listing so that it is permanently removed from Google and Google Maps?
Until recently, you could use a form to ask a Google expert to permanently delete your listing. Unfortunately this is no longer possible.
If you want to permanently remove your Google listing, you will need to contact Google Support directly. However, the chances of success are mixed.
If you have a Google Ads account, you can also try to have your listing removed through a Google Ads specialist – chances of success are higher here.